Friday, November 12, 2010

Here Are Some Other Terrific Podcasts!

A big hello to my valued readership (both of you)!

I want to tell you all about some of the excellent podcasts I found (for free) at the iTunes Store this week.  I can't post links directly to the podcasts themselves, so visit the iTunes store to find them all!

First, I must mention The Audible -- a fantasy football podcast from the guys at footballguys.com.  I know that fantasy football isn't everyone's cup of tea, but if you're a big player, this podcast can't be beat!  The show is a bit long-winded, but very informative and in-depth.  I think Fizzie's comment says it best, "Footballguys' Sigmund Bloom is the future of football analysis.  Get on board now, people!  This podcast kills everything else out there."  I have to agree: It's the best I've heard.  I like this even more than my beloved Yahoo! Sports, and I love Yahoo! Sports.

I found a few podcasts about beer at the iTunes Store, but none of them were better than Hop Cast with Ken Hunnemeder and Brad Chmielewski.  I watched Episode 116: Darkness Day 2010.  It was good; they got into some interesting dark beers, and had more stuff to say about them than just "good" or "bad".  Hop Cast's concept of traveling to various beer-related social events and reporting on-location is an example of the place that I hope to take this blog someday.

Something you may not know about the Sports Bar Junkie, is that he loves the video games, especially the old-school role playing games!  Something you may not know about the iTunes library is there are not a whole lot of podcasts specifically about sports bars.  I will connect the dots here, and say that if you are a sports bar fan like me, you may very well love video games too (they are in bars, after all).  And if you love old-school role playing games, like I do, you should listen to RPGCast on iTunes.  It's great, trust me!  ;-)

A lot of the podcasts I found on iTunes -- searching for "sports bars" and "sports bar reviews" -- ended up having more in common with traditional sports talk radio than they do with my blog topic.  That being said, sports are an integral part of the sports bar experience, so why fight it?  Go ahead and search iTunes for Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, and get full episodes of the Emmy Award-winning show, interviews with sports celebrities, and Gumbel's exclusive commentary.  It's way better than most "sports radio" podcasts,  it will make you sound smart at the sports bar, and you know you like Bryant Gumbel!

For a good time, check out the Drinking Man's Podcast.  It's a podcast for the drinking man, by the drinking man.  They review a few beers; tell some funny stories; chat about movies, music and art; and pretty much talk about all the things we do while we're in the sports bar tossin' back a few.  Listening to the Drinking Man's Podcast is just like listening to NPR (if you're wasted)!

Finally, for the benefit of anyone who reads this -- other than my professor, who showed it to me -- check out "Making the Hippo Dance."  It's a podcast from WNYC and RadioLab about making science topics more accessible and magical.  I liked it a lot, so I'm posting a link to it here!  I especially like the way they tell the story about the fireflies...

No comments:

Post a Comment