Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Photography Practice for the Web

This week in RTV3280 we're examining photography for the web.  Luckily for me I enjoy being behind the camera a lot more than being in front of one!  On Sunday I spent the afternoon at my favorite St. Petersburg sports bar, Ferg's, sharing a pitcher of beer and taking in all the football action.  I'll be posting more pictures here and on my Flickr account, but for now my assignment is to pick my best three shots and explain how I took them, what's going on in the picture, and which of the top 10 tips from Kodak my photos incorporate.  And so without further ado, here are the images:


I took this photo a couple of blocks away from Ferg's.  The bright blue sky and the warmth this shot conveys represent the feeling I get on Sunday afternoons.  I'm always excited to have a day of rest, beer and football; and so it's easier to notice the beauty and tranquility of my home city.  I took this shot through a hole in a fence using a vertical technique.  The Kodak tips I incorporated included using a flash outdoors and placing my subject, the covered mound, off-center in the frame.







That's my friend Nick on the left!  I took this photo inside Ferg's, at what must have been a crucial time in the Dolphin's game (going on over my shoulder).  I especially like how the other people in the shot are all watching different games.  In addition to locking the focus and moving my subject off-center, I followed Kodak's recommendation to stay within a flash range of 10 feet.


This beautiful young lady is looking very sporty!  That pose of hers -- a confident look of cockiness -- was once made famous by Rays' centerfielder BJ Upton in the 2010 Tampa Bay Rays pocket schedule (imagine a baseball bat in her right hand).  I used two of the Kodak tips on this shot:  I held the camera vertically and I became a picture director.



No comments:

Post a Comment