Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What I Learned in the Photography Module

It’s been suggested to me – by my professor, actually – that a journalist often discovers many new things about his subject when he starts making media.  I see what she means, after shooting 100 photographs at Ferg’s this week I have to say that place is a lot bigger than I realized!  All joking aside, I learned what gives Ferg’s its unique charm, I found out that I really enjoy photojournalism, and I rediscovered the joy and camaraderie that drew me to sports bars in the first place.

Ferg’s really is a big place: It has four big rooms, a bar, a patio, and an upstairs with a deck.  Ferg’s was built out of an old gas station, so all the extra rooms are additions.  This may explain why Ferg’s detractors say the place is a little dumpy; I DO NOT agree!  True, it may look like a small shanty town,  but personally I think the look has tons of character – I can feel the history in the building.  To me, the way the place is all stacked up makes it feel super cozy.

I learned that Ferg’s is adorned with more beer advertisements and sports memorabilia than you can shake a stick at.  The walls of every room – even the outside – are plastered with colorful signs and hand painted graphics.  There is a custom Ferg’s basketball hoop, a shot clock, trophies galore, sports-related folk art, and plenty of hats and t-shirts for sale.  The bar staff didn’t seem too weirded-out by me walking around snapping pictures of everything, and they were even encouraging once I told them what I was up to.  The tables are green and covered in local advertisements, and I learned that Ferg’s has 64 TV screens!  As for the patrons, I tried not to be too invasive with my photography, but for the most part everyone was having a good time and too involved in their football games to worry about my nosy camera.  That’s what I love about sports bars – you can yell out loud, celebrate and high-five your friends when your team makes a good play, a no one shushes you; they might even join in the celebration (if they’re rooting for the same team)!

It was a lot of fun to walk around with my camera and report on the action.  I like the idea that you can tell a story with pictures as well as words.  It’s been a while since I wrote a straight review of a bar for this blog, and I don’t want to spoil it now, but I promise that a full review of Ferg’s Sports Bar & Grille is coming soon.  I have instructions from my professor to follow for each post right now, but I'll work it in somehow!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment