Monday, October 4, 2010

A Short Introduction for Sports Bar Junkie Followers

Hello, and welcome to my blog!  Here I'll share my sports bar experiences with you, and tell you which ones are my favorites.  I'm going to focus mainly on Southwest Florida, from St. Petersburg to Ft. Myers Beach and everywhere in between.  I'll clue you in on all the details, so if you don't live nearby, you can still compare the sports bars I visit to your local haunts.

My name is David Anderson, and here are my qualifications--ones they told me not to list on my resume--that make me an expert on the subject of sports bars.  Firstly, I am the two-time defending champion of a highly competitive fantasy football league.  In fact I've finished first or second every year since '05.  Needless to say I have not accomplished this feat by accident.  I consider myself a true student of the game, and to maintain my unprecedented level of success I sometimes need to watch two or three football games at once!  What better place to hone my craft than at a sports bar?  In the process of socializing, drinking beer and eating chicken nachos, I discovered that sports bars are super fun.  Sports bars are bright, colorful and friendly; they often have cute waitresses; and they always have great food and drink.  My friends and I started meeting every Thursday evening at Ferg's Sports Bar, which is across the street from Tropicana Field, to play team trivia.  On trivia night you can win a bar tab or other great prizes just for answering questions.  We've played at Ferg's almost every week for two years!  I've been to other bar's trivia nights that just don't measure up, and I'll explain why not in my upcoming posts.  Other popular sports bar events include: bingo, golden tee, and darts.  I've even driven past a bar on Ft. Myers Beach that advertises a "Tiki Feud" on Monday nights; I have no idea what that could mean, but stay tuned and I promise we'll both know very soon.

Blogger has limited the official description of my blog to 500 characters.  To fully prepare yourself, here is the complete description of my blog and the criteria upon which I will judge the sports bars I visit:


"The sports bar has long been a favorite destination of man, but few are aware of how quickly these cathedrals of leisure are evolving and expanding.  The sports bar experience has changed.  Once just a haunt for the loud, obnoxious and drunken among us, the modern sports bar concept has grown to include fine dining, social events and family fun!  The advent of the NFL Sunday Ticket television package has helped to make sports bars a Sunday destination as ubiquitous as church.  Join me as I travel to these establishments, taste the many offerings of food and drink, sample the culture of team trivia, expose the atmosphere and service to the critical eye of judgment, and tell you, the reader, where to find the most joyful sports bar experiences Southwest Florida has to offer."


I will draw conclusions based on the following criteria:
  • Food - (Quality, Variety, Value, Extras)
  • Beer - (Quality, Variety, Value, Extras)
  • Service - (Quick, Responsive, Friendly)
  • Atmosphere - (Lights, Decorations, Music, Staff)
  • Sports - (Televisions, Energy, Memorabilia, Experience)
  • Fun - (Special Events, Overall Experience) 


Check back here often for reviews, tips, and all the food, fun and friends you can handle!


Sincerely,
David

1 comment: