Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Pincher's Tiki Bar Review Fort Myers (Tiki Feud)

Every Monday at 6 p.m. it's time to play the feud!  Pincher's Crab Shack Tiki Bar, located on Ft. Myers Beach, hosts a sports bar version of the famous game show Family Feud; just in time for Monday Night Football.  Individual players or teams compete by trying to guess the most popular answers to survey questions.  The answers are all provided by drunk people bar patrons, so they can get a little strange.  But try not to embarrass yourself like this woman did, because the winners receive some seriously fabulous prizes.  The players with the highest point totals after four rounds come together to play fast money, a lightning round where getting the high score nets a $50 gift certificate.  It's a lot of fun, and very well organized by bar game standards.  The host has personality, and he keeps the proceedings moving briskly.  One thing I really like about the game is that it's impossible to cheat.  Any sneaky snake with a smart phone can look up trivia questions, but there's no way to google what Bob from Ohio thinks is the best age to get married.  We finished in third place last week--good for a free cocktail or dessert--and we'll definitely come back to give it another shot.  Tiki Feud is a fantastic bar game.  The survey says: It's a winner!   

Food
The bar menu looks promising, and since they are affiliated with the adjacent Pincher's restaurant the menu has lots of variety.  However, this is a two-edged sword; the prices are just too expensive for my taste.  I'm trying to eat, drink, and be merry on a budget!  Seafood is the rub: There's coconut shrimp, stone crab, and fried grouper aplenty.  Luckily chicken wings are only $5 during happy hour (4 p.m. - 6 p.m.), and they are tasty!  The wings aren't healthy, mind you, as they float in a sea of butter sauce, but I don't recall healthfulness being one of my criteria!   Food - 3/5

Beer
What's this, they only have Bud and Bud Light on tapThat stings like a soccer ball to the face!  Sure they have fruity drinks, like frozen rum runners and margaritas, but the Sports Bar Junkie is interested mainly in beer (and the occasional vodka tonic).  Bud and Bud Light bore me to tears.  Everything is two-for-one during the aforementioned happy hour, but, despite specifically telling me over the phone that Pincher's Tiki Bar was a great place to watch Monday Night Football, they don't seem to be encouraging me or my "rowdy friends" to hang around and throw back a few pitchers.  Beer - 1.5/5

Service
The main bartender, John, was great!  I arrived 10 minutes or so before happy hour ended, and not only did he get my drink order before the deadline, he asked me if I wanted him to put in another round before 6.  Knowing that I had a two-for-one in the queue was a nice feeling!  The staff was attentive to my needs and I was never kept waiting.
Service - 5/5

Atmosphere
It's an outdoor tiki bar on the beach, so the lighting and ambiance can't be beat!  The bar chairs are comfy, the tables are clean and the weather delightful!  There's a very long walk to the bathroom, but that gives me time to reflect on how much I like hanging out at this bar!
Atmosphere - 4/5

Sports
Sports are the reason I started coming to bars in the first place.  There were several large high-def televisions strategically placed around the main bar.  I had a great view at two of them, and I don't think anyone had a problem following the game.  However, with only a handful of sets, this is not the best place to follow all the games on Sunday.  Sports fandom here is at a bare minimum: Salty sea dogs are at a maximum.
Sports - 2.5/5

Fun
Tiki Feud plus the beach and the beautiful sunset = nuff said!
Fun - 5/5


OVERALL = 21/30 
GRADE = C+

6 comments:

  1. Tiki Feud Part II - We finished in second place on Monday 10/18/2010, that's a $20 gift certificate! Team Cat Fancy really came through this time, and I had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food is definitely half the attraction of a sports bar. Thanks for reviewing the food. Yum-if the Tiki bar was close by I might just head over there now. Does anyone have a good raw broccoli salad recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummed that Tiki Feud has been suspended for the winter season. :( But did enjoy the stone crabs, courtesy of our last win!

    As for broccoli salad, I'd like to see that on a sports bar menu! I like mine with some bacon, carrots, raisins and onion, and just a little lemon juice, mayo, and vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stone crab here was really good! Yeah, I want to talk more about the food at these bars, I think that might be an interesting angle for me to play up, because a lot of times the quality of the food is surprisingly good. Tiki Bar was tasty, and Beached Whale has great mussels! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was really disappointed when I found out they weren't going to have Tiki Feud during the winter too. It is a really good idea. We have to find out where the hosts are going to take it next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Pincher's Tiki Bar” is one of my favorite and the best sports bar nyc. You know I had enjoyed a number of parties there in this bar. My all friends specially love the music band of this bar and the collection of the songs mostly played there.

    ReplyDelete